Well I managed to complete my first week back at work after my injury in November on Honeymoon, which I believe I covered off in an earlier blog post.

Nonetheless, several things happened this week:

  1. I had my faith restored in human nature and London commuters
  2. Then had it returned back to its normal state
  3. Negotiated a couple of work from home days based on my foot continuing to heal
  4. How extremely Lazy people are

On my first day back into the office, my commute itself is also traumatic, it takes me nigh on two hours travel, door to door to reach my destination one way and two hours in return.  This is subject to everything running on time, getting to the right destination and there being no hold ups.  My concern was the tube I potentially would have a 20 minute stand.  No that was not to be the case.  I got onto the tube and someone offered me their resting post and then said would I prefer a sit, at which point he went across to the nearest person in a sit and asked if they would mind moving so that I may sit down.  A resounding yes was followed.  Thank you for showing some humanity.

However, the journey home as a different story.  Train lines had got flooded and so I had to revert to my back up plan of going into Osterly for  my return journey and have hubby come and collect me at the station.  However, this line is the main line also into Heathrow airport.

Although I was offered a standing post not one person offered me a seat, despite having a stick and it was obvious I was only resting on the one foot.  I had made the decision once I got onto the Piccadilly line, I would ask for a sit if no one would give one up.  So I got on the tube line, and move into the central reservation.  I note that no one chooses to pay attention, and then a young women after seeing me struggle offers me her seat.  I was somewhat relieved as the thought of asking somewhat to evict their seat to me was somewhat nerve-racking.  Living in London you are never sure what you are going to get.  The response will either be yes sure no problem, or WTF who the F do you think you are or worse still stabbed.

However, Monday was rather pleasant.   I left home early knowing I had what used to a 10 minute walk, but since walking can still be painful I knew extra time was needed.  Nonetheless, I still made good time and managed to catch the earlier train than normal.  This leant itself to a much more pleasurable commute.

There were few fears based on the overground


Tuesday I was unable to go into the office as a result of the flooding.  Wednesday was a return to normal and no change in the attitude of commuters forcing me to ask people to vacate sits and stop people sitting, despite having already seen me struggling but nothing would stop them from having a seat…..  Nonetheless the journey in on Monday had taught me one thing.  I was not ready to start going into work on a full-time basis I needed to have at least 2 days from working from home.  Luckily this was my fortnightly  1-2-1 meeting with my manager and so during this time I took the opportunity to discuss the situation and opportunity and advise that I needed to change my work from home days in the short-term from every other Monday and Friday to an ongoing Tuesday and Thursday Momentum for the short-term at least whilst my foot continued to heal.  With this now agreed and under my belt it meant that I could now look to manage my healing process and ensure that my foot was kept permanently elevated at least twice a week.  Despite having acquire a foot rest, it still did not really elevate my foot to the levels needed to keep swelling down, but still it was better than nothing.

Nonetheless despite all this I have had to resort to using the Public Transport lifts to help get me between levels from tube, to surface and platform levels for my journeys and the one thing that has become apparent is the number of able-bodied people who use these, deliberately refuse to hold doors open and seem incapable of any comprehension of why they are there has struck me beyond belief.

In whatever circumstances I am in, as far as possible I try to take the stairs as opposed to lifts, work being my only exception, as it is on the 6th floor, open glass panels, and open stair cases, causing a double clash of two of my fears.  Although I could do it, I just don’t want to get half way and then realise I can’t move up or down as I am frozen in fear and for that purpose only I use the lifts at work.  However in a tube environment I have none of these fears to face and so will use both stairs and escalators and even walk up escalators to help with my very office, sit down job.

I have never seen the fascination of being so damn lazy and it riles me.  Having had a mother in a wheelchair for most of my life, the ability to be able to use Lifts is vital for people like my mother, new mothers with push chairs, heavy luggage and the infirm like myself at present.  Now don’t get me wrong if there is a disability I have no qualms with people using them, but when you can review and see I just can’t be bothered to walk and this is easier it riles me up.

Anyway rant over.  It was lovely to be back at work, enjoying the social interaction and filling my calendar with face to face meetings once again.  It makes such a pleasant change from previous interactions and meetings moving forward.